Sunday, August 10, 2014

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Tarragon



The other day I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on Food Network and she visited a guy who grew heirloom tomatoes and she had him share a recipe for an Heirloom Tomato Salad that I just thought looked awesome! SO when I saw some heirloom tomatoes at the grocery store, and having just seen that and hoped to find some, I snatched a few varieties right up! As soon as we got home I made the salad for me and my hubby. The recipe calls for tarragon but I couldn't find any in my store so I had to settle for dried tarragon.

Slice up each variety slightly different. Sprinkle with salt, drizzle with red wine vinegar, and sprinkle with tarragon! Mix it all up and adjust as needed. Then you let it sit and do it's thing. They said no oil because the vinegar does something special with the juices of the tomato making it really sweet. AND IT DOES! It was so good! And each kind of heirloom tomato had a slightly different taste to it too. And I've not really had tarragon before so it's an unusual flavor to me, kinda like a minty taste and a tea type taste to me. Hubby said he thought it tasted a bit like caraway. And it looks like he was right since looking it up right now both have an anise flavor to them! Ina says she usually pairs basil with tomatoes so I think that would probably work well with this idea too. I hope I find some more heirloom tomatoes!

Looking at the recipe just now I see that I didn't add any pepper to mine, I think that would have been nice too. I'll have to do that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment